Welcome!
Take your shoes off ... Sit a spell...
Ya'll come back now...Ya hear!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I have been reading articles and comments about people being indicted for stealing indian artifacts from the 4 corners area. Greg and I have had some association with Jeanne and Jim Redd who were two of the people indicted and it seems that Jim Redd decided to end his life, I am sure that it must have had to do with other circumstances in his life and not just the indictment because he probably would have done a plea bargain and had to pay a fine (possibly some jail time). I am very sorry for the family and their loss and offer my condolences at this time. And I am sickened at the cruel words and rudeness of some individuals in our society who think they can say what ever they want no matter how crude or unkind, not caring who gets hurt.
But it has got me thinking about the law and respect for people and their beliefs. On one hand I have looked with awe and amazement upon indian artifacts that I have seen in museums and it has given me an ability to feel apart of their culture and see things that I never would have the opportunity to see anywhere else in my life.
But I can also understand the sanctity and reverence of places where these items came from. As you know we have Cherokee in our Davis Genealogy. My great grandmother was a Cherokee Indian princess, her name was Laura Irene Bishop and she lived in South Carolina, she was a real person to me and of great value. I do not like the idea of people digging up bones and skulls to use as home decoration. I do not like it anymore than if someone were to dig up my own grandmothers grave and take her bones or possessions. I especially do not like it when thoughtless individuals mar and destroy hieroglyphics and Indian sights just to be malicious , self serving or leave their own initials carved into the rock.
I think there is a great deal of disrespect for things of importance and for people.
But I am grateful to see and admire and enjoy artifacts (pottery, clothing, tools etc.) in a museum, giving me a world of insight I would never have known. So there is a muddled line here between what some people see as crime and desication and sharing beauty and culture with the world. I am grateful for my beliefs and good parents who taught me to be respectful and reverent concerning other peoples good values and different lives. That doesn't mean I condone or respect everyones beliefs especially when they are cruel, crude, evil and disgusting or disrespectful of others. This world is filled with diversity and that can be bad but also very,very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment